Friday, March 14, 2008

Catching Up With ‘Allison Steele’

From our “Where are the now?” file: Renee DuBay.

Omahans will remember DuBay (pictured) better known as Allison Steele, who was on the air here under that name for 14 years before joining the Mix (WTMX-FM) in Chicago in 2006.

DuBay, her real name, perhaps had her most popular run as midday and afternoon host on Z-92 (KEZO-FM), where she also served as music director. DuBay was also Allison Steele on the now-defunct City (KCTY-FM), Star 104.5 FM and Q-98 (KQKQ 98.5 FM).

When she decided to try Chicago, DuBay sold “Everything she owned,” including her car, and decided to go by her given name.

“Some family members and friends thought I was nuts for leaving a comfortable existence at Q-98.5 for part-time work in Chicago,” DuBay recalled. “I always had the dream ever since I was a 16-year-old of working in a Top 10 radio market and I was going to market No. 3. I was single, no kids, if I was going to do it, it was time.”

DuBay started working one day a weekend, then two days, and later filled in for full-timers.

“It was hard for many months,” she said. “I wondered if I'd made the wrong decision but hung in there because I believed and many others believed this dream was going to happen.”

Back in Omaha, managers at Lite 101.9 (now the Big O, KOOO-FM) needed someone to fill in for Shari Stone while she was on maternity leave. DuBay agreed to fill in, and an epic commute was under way.

“In early January ’07 I started flying between Chicago and Omaha,” DuBay said. “I would fly to Omaha on Sunday night after my air shift on the Mix. I'd work in Omaha Monday through Friday. I'd fly back to Chicago on Friday night to work at the Mix Saturdays and Sundays. I did that for seven weeks.”

DuBay was eventually offered a full-time midday gig with the Mix in Chicago.

“I’ve got to meet a ton of celebrities because I follow such a successful morning show (Eric and Kathy),” she said. “I’ve also got to see many great shows at many great venues here in Chicago. My favorites: Bon Jovi and Daughtry at Allstate Arena, Pat Monahan at the House of Blues, and Linkin Park at Midwest Amphitheater.”

No husband or kids yet for DuBay. However, she does have a boyfriend in her life. But she hasn’t replaced her car.

“I take a cab to work every morning which costs me $9, including tip,” DuBay said. “It takes me 12 minutes to get to work in the morning and it takes me right down the Magnificent Mile. I love cruising over the Chicago River and looking east and west every day.”

There’s obviously a lot more to see in Chicago – “It’s the most entertaining city I’ve ever lived in,” says DuBay – but the on-air personality still misses Omaha.

“I was so blessed to stay in my career in Omaha for 14 years,” said DuBay. “I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss Omaha. It’s a friendlier place to live. You know your neighbors, etc. Life is more simple, not noisy, and I can dress for fashion and not for the elements. It’s nice to get in a car and have heat and air conditioning.

“I miss being able to accommodate lots of people in my home for dinner, games and such. I miss having a fenced in backyard with a dog, bird feeders and other animals, like deer in my (old) neighborhood, and being able to barbecue.”

DuBay, a native of Minnesota, gets back to Omaha every three or four months, she said. And the next time you make it to Chicago, DuBay recommends Shaw’s Crab House, “the best restaurant experience I've ever enjoyed.”

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who?

Anonymous said...

She had better look out. Tom & Ted are now syndicated and will take her out.

Anonymous said...

Matt Perrault is Gay.

Anonymous said...

Oh God..She needed to let us know she is better then us...HACK COUGH

Anonymous said...

Good thing she's in radio. When it comes to looks, she's no Farah Fazol.

Anonymous said...

she looks like that natalie girl off of the current big brother season

Anonymous said...

She didn't need to let us know she's better than us. Jim Minge is doing a series of old radio personalities that left Omaha and what they're up to these days. Her dream was to be in a top 10 market and she made it come true in Chicago. Nothing wrong with that. Like the first one with Roger W. Morgan. He wanted to do radio in a warm climate, and now does it for the Virgin Islands. Pretty cool

Though honestly, I'd find it funny if one of them would say "not at all" to the question of do they miss Omaha or not. I'm sure both Morgan and DuBay miss small parts, but have moved forward.

Anonymous said...

Found The Roger Morgan Story Boring as well

Anonymous said...

5:24pm-well, then stop reading.

Anonymous said...

Actually I can't read..But I know how to write..Damn Public Schools

Anonymous said...

"Jim is doing a series (on) old radio personalities (who) left Omaha"?

Let me know when you want to do my interview, Jim.

I'm at 553-OTIS. Um, don't forget to dial 402, it's a Fremont number. . .

Your friend,

Otis 12

Anonymous said...

Okay. This gal lost me with: "It’s nice to get in a car and have heat and air conditioning."

Or is she pleased about a recent car purchase?

Anonymous said...

Maybe they can do a story on TNT. I think they left Omaha about 12 years ago. They're just rerunning the same fart, dick and uranus jokes over and over and over again.

Anonymous said...

How about wingert..Didn't he die with Jim Morrison?

Anonymous said...

I was once on the radio. I won a free CD and a concert T-shirt back in the days of Sweet 98.

But I don't grant interviews anymore. Not even "where are they now" interviews. I have returned to private life and I like it that way.

SO STOP CALLING!!

Anonymous said...

What about the stoner chick that used to do the early show on the Z about 20 years ago *get out the vial*.....I forget her name. Think she went to KC and became a *pours the white powder out* radio stoner chick down there. Oh wait...I just described most of the women that have been on the air in Omaha going back to 1975 *snort*. Wow...everythings so greeeeenn

Anonymous said...

Sandy Palmer...?

Anonymous said...

Rosie Palmer? And her 5 friends?

Anonymous said...

What the hell does this story have to do with Todd n Tyler? Did they approve this puff piece? JIM....YOU BETTER HAVE SOME ANSWERS!

yu got sum 'plaining to do Lucy!

Anonymous said...

9:10, in your own twisted way, you have a point. This particular post IS after all about washed up DJ's. Toad and Tylenol were washed up before they ever came to Omaha.

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a bunch of losers - I remember Allison on the Z and really liked her. She was a good on air personality and for those who used to listen I appreciate the story. Why must you jobless losers bash everything all the time? If you don't like someone or some show, don't listen. I listened to TnT for 10 years and I got tired of the show and now I don't listen. Doesn't mean I need to bash them or any others for that matter - And I am sure the jackass who made the comment about her looks is a real winner too! I truly think all you TnT bashers are jealous of them because they make 200K a year to talk on the radio and they are so good it makes it seem easy. I did radio many years ago and trust me it is not.

Anonymous said...

Again, who...gives...a...shit?

Actually, I *would* be interested is a piece about Otis 12 and Diver Dan, since they were uncerimoniouly thumped out of Omaha radio.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this expose on the current whereabouts of this legendary woman.

I, at long last, will finally be able to sleep at night.

Anonymous said...

Can we please move on now to the Dr. Dave Eiser update. And I hope they're going to give us the latest on that guy who used to do Travia on KPTM. Wonder what ever happened to him.

Anonymous said...

What about Rich Thiesfeld?

Anonymous said...

How about a retro of the weather boobs of the 70's? Donna Meyer (aka Cheryl Donnermeyer), and the one that married Chip Davis for a while. Saw here recent pics somewhere last year....talk about not aging well. And speaking of boobs..I always did have a good mammerie....how about Ann (stay away from my daughter) Schatz?

--Nebbish Nate--

Anonymous said...

Carol Scott.......

Anonymous said...

Schatz has been working for years for the Portland Jail Blazers. Looks as hot as ever.

Anonymous said...

She had a rack only another woman would appreciate...and they did.....over and over again.

Anonymous said...

What about the smokin' blond that used to do the weather on 3,her first name was Cheryl I think.She also taught drama at Ralston.This was in the 70's.

Anonymous said...

She had a rack only another woman would appreciate...and they did.....over and over again.

Please Tell us More...He he he

Anonymous said...

Its all tit for tat......

Anonymous said...

Its all tit for tat......

Omababe said...

>Omahans will remember DuBay
>(pictured) better known as
>Allison [sic] Steele

Those of us who knew and loved the original Nitebyrd still cringe at the misuse of her name, sorry. :(

Anonymous said...

I was once on the radio. I won a free CD and a concert T-shirt back in the days of Sweet 98.

But I don't grant interviews anymore. Not even "where are they now" interviews. I have returned to private life and I like it that way.

SO STOP CALLING!!


Yes, But have moved on to a Larger Market Say New York City and Won a CD and A T-shirt there and Had you been on the air? Then we would like an interview

Anonymous said...

She is back:

DuBay To Wake Up Omaha


By Keith Berman

Renee DuBay is leaving middays on Bonneville hot AC WTMX (101.9 The Mix)/Chicago to do mornings on the same frequency in Omaha. On her way down, she'll jump into a phone booth and magically transform into "Allison Steele," which she was known by in her last run in Omaha. This time, she'll take over mornings at NRG Media's KOOO (The Big O 101.9) along with Tommy O, who moves across the hall from the morning producer gig at hot AC KQKQ (Q98-5).

"It was one of the toughest decisions I've made in my career, as I worked my butt off to get here," DuBay/Steele tells R&R. "But I am truly grateful to work at The Mix and Bonneville, where I've worked with some the most talented and kindest people I've met in radio. I will miss my co-workers, and I will miss Chicago. It's truly a bittersweet deal, but it's good to be going 'home.'"


Copyright © 2008 The Nielsen Company. All rights reserved.

Anonymous said...

So Does This mean She Failed at being A Major Market TalenT???

Anonymous said...

Actually it means she meant what she said in the original interview. She really missed Omaha. She did the major market thing and now has a great gig back where she's got roots (and assumably more money than she would have made before she left for Chicago).

Anonymous said...

Did she copy the real Allison or just steal the name? How did she get away with it for so long? [Oh that's right! It's west of the Hudson!] If she had tried that in NYC she would have been run out of town on the third rail, and tarred with Nightbird feathers. Deservedly. Shame.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Dave Eiser currently is a guidance counselor at Palmdale High School in southern California. Yes, same guy.